1. Rub the inside of your pet's food bowls with a little olive oil for easy cleaning.
2. Wash rubber toys in the dishwasher with white vinegar.
3. Remove scratches and tooth marks from timber furniture by wiping it with a mixture of ¾ cup of oil and ¼ cup of vinegar.
4. To de-fuzz your furniture in a hurry, wrap duct tape around your hand – sticky side out – and wipe down. Alternately, wrap duct tape around a paint roller for a makeshift cleaner.
5. Line your kitty litter tray with a plastic garbage bag for a quick and easy clean up.
6. Cover your favourite chair or sofa with a piece of plastic carpet protector. Your pet will associate the plastic teeth with an “uncomfortable” feeling.
7. Soak smelly collars in hot water with a palm-size amount of dog shampoo. Leave for 15 minutes then pat dry.
8. Wear rubber gloves to quickly de-fuzz the sofa.
9. Attach a sheet of plastic or Perspex to your door to protect it from your dog’s claws and teeth.
10. Bicarb soda will eliminate odours from bed covers. Just add a cup of bicarb to your laundry load.
11. Minimise smells in the kitty litter tray by sprinkling it with a layer of bicarb soda.
12. If you need to get rid of stains or odours quickly, reach for a laundry cleaning product with enzymes, which will break down and neutralize organic matter.
13. Use a gentle vacuum with an upholstery attachment to brush your dog and cut down on cleaning time.
14. Cover shallow claw marks and scratches with wood stain and varnish.
15. Blot urine stains with a clean towel as soon as possible, then cover it with a solution made with 50 per cent white vinegar and 50 per cent water. Scrub with a brush then sprinkle bicarb soda on top until it foams. Leave for a few minutes then wipe and vacuum.
16. A layer of aluminium foil will deter cats from sitting on your sofa.