• 85g packet port wine jelly
• 400ml milk
• 2 eggs
• 100g caster sugar
• 1 tsp vanilla extract
• 45g cornflour
• 300ml thickened cream, whipped to soft peaks
• 16 savoiardi sponge finger biscuits
• 1 x 18cm plain sponge cake
• 1 cup semi-sweet sherry or apera
• 2 x 250g punnets strawberries, hulled, halved lengthways
• 2 kiwifruit, peeled, diced
• 1⁄2 x 400g store-bought vanilla bean pavlova, broken into pieces
• 1 cup fresh berries or pitted cherries
• 1⁄4 cup cherry jam
To make jelly, follow packet instructions and allow to set.
To make custard, put milk in a large saucepan and bring to the boil over a high heat. Put eggs, caster sugar, vanilla and cornflour in a large bowl, whisking until smooth and combined. Stir in hot milk. Return to saucepan and bring to a simmer over a medium heat, whisking constantly until thickened. Transfer to a large bowl. Refrigerate for 30 minutes. Fold in whipped cream.
Arrange sponge finger biscuits upright around base of a 31⁄2L glass trifle dish, then trim sponge cake to fit in middle, reserving offcuts. Drizzle with 1⁄2 of the apera and top with 1⁄4 of the custard mixture.
Arrange strawberries above biscuits, with cut-sides pushed against sides of trifle dish. Scatter remaining strawberries on custard in middle, then top with 1⁄3 of the remaining custard mixture.
Roughly crumble cake offcuts and scatter over top. Drizzle 1⁄3 of the remaining apera over the top. Spoon remaining custard mixture into a piping bag fitted with a 1cm star-shaped nozzle. Pipe a thin layer of custard on top. Dice jelly and scatter over, then top with kiwifruit. Pipe remaining custard on top of fruit in small peaks, then scatter over pavlova pieces.
Combine berries or cherries, jam and remaining apera in a large bowl. Carefully spoon over the top to serve.