Eat fresh and fabulous this Spring by filling your plate with blooming beautiful seasonal fare from the October issue.
Soft tacos with prawn, avocado and quick pickles
Preparation time: 15 mins plus 30 mins pickling
Cooking time: 5 mins
• 1 Lebanese cucumber, thinly sliced
• ½ red onion, thinly sliced
• 2 Tbsp small chervil sprigs
• ¼ cup white vinegar
• 2 tsp caster sugar
• 1 tsp sea-salt flakes
• 24 cooked tiger prawns, peeled, deveined, halved lengthways
• 1 small zucchini, cut into zoodles, ribbons or matchsticks
• 1 avocado, flesh diced
• 1 cup mint leaves, roughly torn
• ¼ cup roughly chopped chives, plus extra, to serve
• 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
• Juice of 1 lime
• Sea-salt flakes and freshly ground black pepper, to season
• 8 small tortillas
• 8 baby cos lettuce leaves
• Lime wedges, to serve
Step 1 : To make quick pickles, put cucumber, onion, chervil, vinegar, sugar and salt in a large bowl. Toss well then set aside for 30 minutes to pickle.
Step 2: Combine prawns, zucchini, avocado, mint and chives in a large bowl. Drizzle with oil and lime juice, toss well and season. Set aside.
Step 3: Heat a chargrill pan over a high heat. Grill tortillas for 15 seconds each side or until lightly charred.
Step 4: Lay grilled tortillas on a chopping board. Put a lettuce leaf on each tortilla then top with prawn mixture. Fold tortilla in half, then garnish each with a few pickles and extra chives. Serve with lime wedges and remaining pickles on the side
For more fresh and fabulous recipes like this one don’t miss the October issue of Better Homes and Gardens magazine!