• 2 tsp belacan shrimp paste (available from select supermarkets or Asian grocers)
• 4 eschalots, finely diced
• 3 cloves garlic, crushed
• 1 small red chilli, deseeded, diced
• 3 Tbsp vegetable oil
• 4 cups cooked Jasmine rice
• 1 Tbsp kecap manis
• 1 tsp caster sugar
• 1 Tbsp chopped coriander leaves
• 4 eggs
• Green shallots, thinly sliced diagonally, to garnish
• Shredded iceberg lettuce, to serve
• Diced tomatoes, to serve
• Roasted peanuts, to serve
Preheat oven to 180°C. Wrap shrimp paste in foil and bake for 10 minutes or until aromatic.
Transfer paste to the bowl of a food processor and add eschalot, garlic and chilli. Process until smooth.
Heat 2 Tbsp of the oil in a wok over a high heat. Add shrimp mixture. Cook for 2 minutes or until aromatic.
Add rice and remaining oil and continue cooking. When rice begins to stick, add kecap manis, sugar and coriander. Remove from heat and set aside.
Heat a large non-stick frying pan over a medium-high heat and fry eggs, sunny-side up, for 2-3 minutes or until whites are set. Divide rice mixture among 4 serving bowls and top each with an egg. Garnish with shallot and serve with lettuce, tomato and peanuts on the side.