Fare collecting logistic company Genfare surveyed 2000 Americans who fly at least twice a year to find out what bothers them the most when they're at 35,000 feet.
“Getting from point A to point B has never been easier thanks to technology. However, we all know that the one aspect we can’t always control is the bad travel behaviour of fellow passengers," says director of marketing at Genfare, Tara Farnsworth, speaking to Forbes.
"We were curious to find out which of these travel annoyances tops the list not just for airline travel, but also for the traveling and commuting we do on a daily basis.”
The findings also give insight into how some of us deal with our biggest pet hates. Most travellers who get stuck next to an annoying traveller will resort to headphones (35 per cent), while 27 per cent will report them. Would you do nothing or be confrontational? Turns out 25 per cent sit quietly while 11 per cent aren't afraid to make a scene if it means they'll shut up.
“Men and women have a lot in common when it comes to airline annoyances. The top airline annoyance for both is having their seat kicked, and they're similarly annoyed by body odour and crying children," continues Farnsworth.
"However, women are slightly more annoyed by inattentive parents, and having their seat pulled back or leaned on, while they're more tolerant of snoring and drunk passengers than men.”
Speaking to Forbes, Genfare broke down the annoyances gender.
Ranked: 17 Airplane Travel Annoyances for both men and women
- Getting Seat Kicked - 57.51% for women | 51.13% for men
- Body Odour - 26.28% for women | 26.40% for men
- Crying Baby/Child - 24.83% for women | 31.63% for men
- Talkative Passenger - 23.63% for women | 23.78% for men
- Inattentive Parents - 22.18% for women | 20.93% for men
- Getting Your Seat Pulled Back or Leaned on - 20.73% for women | 12.49% for men
- Drunk Passenger - 15.70% for women | 21.76% for men
- People Rushing to Get off Plane as Soon as it Gets to the Gate - 15.70% for women | 15.10% for men
- Passenger Reclining Seat - 15.36% for women | 14.98% for men
- Putting Feet up or Between Seats - 15.10% for women | 11.18% for men
- Snoring Passenger - 12.63% for women | 19.02% for men
- Bringing Smelly Food on Flight - 11.26% for women | 11.89% for men
- Man-Spreading (a.k.a sitting with legs wide apart) - 8.53% for women | 4.88% for men
- Passenger Removing Shoes or Socks - 7.08% for women | 6.66% for men
- Bright Screens on Phones or iPads During Nighttime Flights - 4.01% for women | 2.97% for men
- Non-Service Dogs - 2.30% for women | 2.97% for men
- Dressing Sloppy (ie. wearing pyjamas/sweatpants on flight) - 1.11% for women | 2.26% for men
You might also like: