The study was published in The Metro, and according to the paper, their researchers swabbed the self-order machines and were astounded by the breadth of different bacteria that was picked up by the swabs.
Senior Lecturer in Microbiology at London Metropolitan University, Dr. Paul Matawele, told the metro that he was surprised by how much gut and faecal bacteria there was on touch-screen machines. He said “These cause the kind of infections people pick up in hospitals.”
That bacteria included staphylococcus, listeria, klebsiella, and faecal bacteria.
“For instance Enterococcus faecalis is part of the flora of gastrointestinal tracts of healthy humans and other mammals. It is notorious in hospitals for causing hospital acquired infections," said Dr Matawele.
The Metro contacted the English chain on McDonalds for comment, who simply said their screens are cleaned regularly and they provide facilities for customers to wash their hands before eating.
So maybe think twice before using the self-service machines a McDonald’s next time you visit, and consider doing it the old-fashioned way at the counter!
You might also like: