Creating a stunning display is simple – all you need is a hanging basket with a liner, potting mix and your choice of plants. If you can’t decide, make all three!
1. Flaunt the prettiest basket of blooms by growing lobelias, ringed with trailing petunias. Finish with trailing foliage, such as creeping Jenny, planted in slits, in the base and sides.
2. This is the first step to a gorgeous flower ball. Plant seedlings thickly over the top, and dotted all around the sides (cut slits in the liner with secateurs). Or substitute lettuce or herbs for an edible basket.
3. A variety of foliage colours, textures and patterns are just as impressive as brightly coloured petals.
How to make a foliage basket
Gather your supplies
• Hanging basket
• Potting mix
• Water crystals (soaked, following manufacturer’s instructions on pack)
• Selection of plants (we used Sedum ‘Green Mound’, Dichondra ‘Silver Falls’, Cineraria ‘Dusty Miller’ and Begonia Chocolate Mix)
You’ll also need
Scissors; seaweed solution; small plastic pot
Step 1 Put hanging basket on a flat surface (preferably outdoors). Part-fill with potting mix, then spread a handful of water crystals over top. Remove plants from pot, tease roots and plant up in desired position, backfilling as you go.
Step 2 Upturn plastic pot and sit hanging basket securely on top. Cut large slits around sides of basket’s lining at desired intervals, then carefully insert plants (here, begonias).
Step 3 Water well with diluted seaweed solution. Carefully hang basket at eye level in desired spot.