• 1 cup dried green lentils
• 2 tsp vegetable oil
• 1 white onion, finely diced
• 1 stick celery, finely diced
• 1 carrot, finely diced
• 4 cloves garlic, minced
• 1L chicken stock (made from stock cubes)
• 2 tsp dried Italian herbs
• Sea-salt flakes and freshly ground black pepper, to season
• 2 cups frozen peas
• Steamed rice, to serve
Wash lentils with room temperature water, discarding any that float (see Cook’s tips, below). Drain and set aside. Heat oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat and sauté onion, celery, carrot and garlic for 5 minutes or until starting to brown.
Cook's tip: Washing lentils is very important, as they can shatter during processing and these won’t cook properly. Any broken lentils will float when washed.
Add lentils, stock and dried herbs, simmering gently for 30 minutes or until tender. Season. Add peas, simmering for 2 more minutes. Serve with rice.