• Melted butter, to grease
• 1½ cups self-raising flour
• ¾ cup almond meal
• 1½ cups caster sugar
• Finely grated zest of 3 lemons
• 3 free-range eggs, lightly beaten
• 250ml milk
• 250ml extra virgin olive oil
• 165ml lemon juice
• Icing sugar mixture, to dust
• Fresh figs, cut into wedges, to serve
• Mascarpone drizzled with honey, to serve
Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease a 22cm round springform cake tin with melted butter. Line base and sides with baking paper.
Sift flour into a large bowl and stir in almond meal. Add caster sugar and lemon zest, stirring until well combined. Add eggs and whisk until well combined and creamy. Add milk, oil and lemon juice. Stir gently with whisk until well combined. Pour mixture into prepared tin. Tap tin firmly on a flat surface to remove air bubbles. Put tin on a large oven tray.
Bake for 1 hour 15 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer. Stand for 10 minutes to cool slightly. Release cake from tin and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Dust liberally with icing sugar mixture and top with fig wedges. Serve with mascarpone drizzled with honey.