• 100g fine burghul (cracked wheat, from the health food section of supermarkets)
• Pinch of salt, to season
• 600g lamb mince
• 1⁄2 brown onion, finely diced
• 2 cloves garlic, finely grated
• 11⁄2 tsp ground allspice
• 11⁄2 tsp ground cumin
• 1⁄2 tsp cinnamon
• 1⁄2 tsp chilli powder
• 1 tsp dried mint
• Extra 2 tsp salt
• 2 Tbsp cold water
• 1 cup thick plain yoghurt, to serve
• 1 lemon, cut into wedges, to serve
• 2 medium carrots, thinly sliced
• Sea-salt flakes, to season
• 2 Tbsp white wine vinegar
• 1 jalapeño chilli, deseeded, finely chopped
• 1⁄4 white cabbage, finely shredded
• 1 tsp ground cumin
• Extra virgin olive oil
• Seeds of 1⁄2 pomegranate
• 1⁄3 cup finely shredded mint leaves
Rinse burghul under cold running water and drain well. Transfer to a bowl, add a pinch of salt and cover with boiling water. Cover with plastic wrap and stand for 30-40 minutes or until tender. Drain well.
Put mince, onion, garlic, spices, mint, extra salt and burghul in the large bowl of an electric mixer and beat on low, using paddle attachment, for 3 minutes. Add cold water and beat for a further 5-10 minutes or until mixture binds together.
Using your hands, mould mince mixture in a sausage shape around 6 flat metal skewers. Put on a plate, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes or until firm.
Meanwhile, to make salad, put carrot in a bowl and season with salt. Pour over vinegar, then toss and stand for 10-15 minutes or until soft. Toss through chilli. Put cabbage in a separate bowl, then sprinkle over cumin and toss to combine. Add to carrot mixture and toss, then drizzle with oil. Spoon over a little
of the pomegranate and mint, reserving remaining to serve.
Preheat a barbecue grill to high or put a chargrill pan over a high heat. Cook skewers, turning occasionally, for 10 minutes or until cooked through and browned.
Put skewers on a serving platter. Spoon over yoghurt, remaining mint and a little of the remaining pomegranate. Serve skewers with lemon wedges, salad and remaining yoghurt and pomegranate.