• 800g lamb back strap, chopped into 3cm cubes
• 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
• 1 large cucumber, grated, squeezed to drain away excess liquid
• 300g plain Greek-style yoghurt
• Sea-salt flakes and freshly ground black pepper, to season
• 6 mini pita pockets
• 1 red onion, thinly sliced
• Seeds of 1 pomegranate
• 2 tsp ground sumac
• 2 Tbsp dried Greek oregano
• 3 cloves garlic, finely grated
• Juice of 1 lemon
• 1 Tbsp white wine vinegar
• 3 Tbsp olive oil
• 1 tsp ground cumin
Note: Allow 15 marinating
To make marinade, combine all ingredients in a large bowl.
Add lamb to marinade and toss to coat. Set aside at room temperature for 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, combine oil, cucumber and yoghurt in a bowl, then season. Set aside.
Preheat barbecue flat plate to high. Thread lamb onto 6 metal or pre-soaked bamboo skewers. Cook kebabs for 8-10 minutes, turning occasionally.
To assemble dish, remove lamb from 1 skewer and put in 1 pita pocket. Top with a dollop of the cucumber yoghurt, then a little of the red onion. Sprinkle over a few of the pomegranate seeds and a little of the sumac. Repeat with remaining lamb, pita, yoghurt mixture, onion, seeds and sumac. Serve.