SLOW COOKER BUTTER CHICKEN WITH NAAN BOWL
Prep time 20 mins
Cooking time 8 hours 15 mins
- 1/4 cup tandoori paste
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 50g butter, melted
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 12 skinless chicken thigh fillets
- 8 cardamon pods
- 2 cinnamon quills
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp finely grated fresh ginger
- 400ml chicken stock
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 125ml thickened cream
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- Sea-salt flakes and freshly ground black pepper, to season
- Steamed basmati rice, to serve
- Flaked almonds and coriander sprigs, to garnish
Naan bread bowls
- 20g butter, melted
- 1 3/4 cup self-raising flour, plus extra to dust
- 1/2 tsp fine salt
- 1 cup Greek-style yoghurt
- Combine pastes, butter, cumin and garlic in the bowl of a 5L slow cooker. Add chicken and toss to coat.
- Scatter over cardamon, cinnamon, onion and ginger, then pour in stock and tomatoes.
- Put bowl into appliance, cover with lid and cook on LOW for 8 hours or HIGH for 6 hours.
- Meanwhile, during last hour of cooking, make naan bread bowls. Preheat oven to 200 degrees C (220 degrees C conventional). Lightly grease 6 ovenproof bowls, about 15cm wide, with butter and arrange on an oven tray. Put flour in a large bowl and stir in salt. Add yoghurt and use your hands to combine, forming a rough dough. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead briefly to form a smooth dough. Divide into 6 and roll each out into a disc about 5mm thick. Carefully line bowls with dough discs. Bake for 15 minutes or until lightly browned and puffed up. Remove bread from bowls.
- Stir cream and sugar into chicken mixture, season. Cook for a further 15 minutes on HIGH.
- Serve butter chicken in naan bowls with rice. Garnish with almonds and coriander.
For more delicious recipes, pick up a copy of our July issue, on sale in selected newsagents and supermarkets or buy online here today!