CHRISTMAS CAKE ICE-CREAMS
Preparation time 15 mins plus overnight freezing
Cooking time 10 mins
- 21/2L vanilla ice-cream
- 350g fruitcake
- 1/4 cup brandy or sweet sherry
- Cooking oil spray, to grease
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- Silver cachous, to decorate
- Put ice-cream in a large bowl and set aside for 10 minutes to soften slightly. Meanwhile, crumble cake into a separate bowl and pour over brandy.
- Fold cake crumbs into softened ice-cream, then spoon into 12 150ml freezer-proof tumblers. Freeze overnight until ice-cream is firm.
- On the day of serving, lightly grease an upside-down 24-hole mini muffin tin with cooking oil. Put sugar and water in a small frying pan over medium heat. Cook, stirring until sugar is melted. Cook for 5 minutes, without stirring, until sugar is a rich caramel colour. Set pan aside for 2 minutes until toffee is like runny honey.
- With a teaspoon, drizzle toffee over 12 raised muffin mounds in lattice fashion and set aside to harden. Once toffee has set, carefully remove.
- Remove ice-creams from freezer and top each with a toffee crown, then decorate the inside of crowns with cachous and serve.
For more delicious Christmas recipes, pick up a copy of our Christmas issue, on sale in selected newsagents and supermarkets or buy online here today!
*Only with the Christmas 2019 issue of Better Homes and Gardens magazine in selected outlets for just 55c more while stocks last.