Mozzarella-Stuffed Meatballs In Tomato Sauce
Preparation time 20 mins
Cooking time 1 hour
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 sprigs rosemary or oregano, leaves finely chopped
- Pinch of salt
- 2 x 400g cans diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 375g spaghetti, to serve
- 25g parmesan shavings, to serve (optional)
- 500g beef mince
- ½ bunch parsley, leaves finely chopped, plus extra leaves to serve
- Sea-salt flakes and freshly ground black pepper, to season
- 50g mozzarella, cut into 16 pieces
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan on low. Add onion, garlic, rosemary and salt. Cover with a lid and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until softened. Stir in tomatoes with sugar and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes (or for longer, if you have time).
- Meanwhile, to make meatballs, combine mince and parsley, then season. Divide into 16 even pieces. Flatten one piece in the palm of your hand and put a piece of mozzarella in the middle. Close mince around cheese to make a meatball. Repeat with the remaining mice and mozzarella.
- Preheat oven to 160 fan-forced (180 conventional) and line an oven tray with baking paper. Bake meatballs for 20 – 25 minutes, until cooked through.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta following packet instructions. Add meatballs to hot tomato sauce. Spoon meatballs and sauce over pasta, top with parmesan, if using, and scatter with extra parsley.
- You can freeze the meatballs on a tray then, once solid, in a freezer bag or airtight container and wrap in foil.
- Once cooled, freeze the cooked tomato sauce in a freezer bag or airtight container.
- Defrost meatballs and sauce in the fridge for 8 hours, then cook meatballs and reheat sauce.
For more delicious recipes, pick up a copy of our May issue, on sale in selected newsagents and supermarkets or buy online here today!