From swatch to wall
- Make the wall paint colour your last decision when decorating a room. It’s the least expensive element to change but it has a huge impact on the look of the finished space.
- Consider the style of your home, your furnishings, art, fabrics and colours that make you look and feel good when selecting swatches.
- Allow for flow if you’re painting multiple rooms.
- When you think you’ve found the right colour on a paint swatch chart, choose a shade or two lighter. Pale colours are more flexible for pairing with other colours.
- Paint chips are best viewed in natural light. As this isn’t always possible, find a bright white halogen lamp.
- Give yourself permission to purchase lots of sample pots in the paint colours you like.
- Paint large boards in each colour. Hang one on the wall near furnishings and move it around the room for a day or two. Watch the effect on the colour as the light changes at different times of the day. Repeat the process for every board you paint. When you find the colour and shade you love, you’re ready to go.