A good cast iron pan should last you a lifetime, but you need to season it regularly. Learn this skill and you’ll keep your skillet in good nick.
1. Preheat your oven to 180 degrees celcius.
2. Wash the pan in warm water and a little detergent. Use a stiff brush if necessary.
3. Rinse the pan and dry well with a tea towel or paper towel.
4. Pour a tablespoon of vegetable oil into the pan.
5. Using a clean tea towel or paper towel, rub the oil all over the pan, including the outside and bottom of the pan.
6. Place the pan upside down on the oven’s centre rack. Pop a sheet of aluminium foil underneath to catch any drips.
7. Bake for an hour.
8. Turn off the heat and allow the pan to cool before removing it from the oven.
That’s it. Your pan is ready to use!