There is no better breakfast than a perfectly poached egg on hot buttered toast or smashed avocado. Our 5-step guide will show you all the tricks you need to know.
1. Eggs must be fresh (free range are best) and at room temperature. Working with 1 egg at a time, crack the egg on to a saucer.
2. Fill a wide saucepan or frying pan with water until about 8cm deep. Add 1/2 teaspoon of white vinegar. Bring to the boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat, the water should not be boiling but be just a bit more than gentle simmer, with small bubbles breaking the surface of the water.
3. Stir simmering water in one direction to create a whirlpool (this will help to give your poached eggs a neat shape).
4. Slide egg from saucer into centre of whirlpool, as close to water surface as possible. Cook, without stirring, for 2-3 minutes for a semi-soft yolk or 3-4 minutes for a firm-set yolk.
5. Remove with a slotted spoon to a clean tea towel while cooking remaining eggs. Between cooking eggs, use a slotted spoon to skim any foam from water surface.
Written by Janelle Bloom.
This article originally appeared on Foodiful.