1. What is the difference between hair type, hair texture and hair condition? Is it important to know what you have?
Hair type is a culmination of the texture of your hair, the density and the porosity. It is important to know what you have when considering shampoos and treatments as well as what cuts and styles work best.
2. How do you choose the best hair care and styling products?
The best way is to ask a professional for advice and if the salon prices are too high, you can then take their advice and find a less expensive alternative in chemist. Another way is to read the bottles back and front. It will usually tell you what hair type it is suitable for and what it does.
3. Many women like shorter hair. How can they make it look fabulous?
The internet is a great resource to show you the current trends in hair. It’s a great way of finding ideas on how to wear your hair and what short styles are on trend.
4. How much is it about the cut and or home styling?
The cut is everything and should make home styling easier if the cut works in your favour.
5. What are the best ways to maintain shine and avoid frizz?
Frizz happens when the cuticles are damaged due to environment or heat damage or even chemical damage. Think of the cuticles like venetian blinds. When the blinds are open, the light passes through and is broken up hence frizz and no shine. When you close the blinds (cuticles) you have a smooth surface therefore the light reflects off the surface causing shine. Deep conditioning treatments that repair damage (protein based) and or treatments that contain moisture, which will make the hair soft, supple and shiny.
Product suggestion: Pantene Pro V 3 Minute Miracle Conditioner Repair and Protect.
6. How often should you wash hair and how often should you change your shampoo and conditioner?
The amount of times you should wash your hair depends on many things. Lifestyle, thickness, cleanliness etc. Most women wash their hair too often. Try rinsing with only conditioner every alternate time and notice the difference to the shine and lustre. Changing your shampoo and conditioner can happen every six months as you may need something heavier in summer as the hair can get drier.
7. What are the biggest mistakes women who dye their own hair make?
The biggest mistake is not buying enough product and running out towards the back. It is also difficult not to overlap your colours causing band lines.
8. What are the most important things to do/not do when blow-drying?
Always use a blow drying spray/cream or heat protecting product before blow drying. Keep the heat slightly away from the hair so as not to scorch your hair. Dry the hair off 90 per cent before styling with the brush. This will speed up the blow dry and make it easier unless you have naturally frizzy hair that dries quickly naturally. Using a nozzle on the end of the dryer will direct the airflow to the section of hair being dried and give more control.
9. How can you make your blow-dry last longer?
Dry shampoos and volume powders can make your blow dry last longer.
Product suggestion: Batiste Dry Shampoo or Klorane Dry Shampoo. Lift the hair up in sections and spray the dry shampoo into the roots. Let it absorb for a couple of minutes and then brush through or shake through with your fingers.
10. What can you do to make grey hair look glossy?
Again glossy hair is when your cuticles are closed. You can use a finishing cream such as John Frieda’s Secret Weapon after blow drying your hair. This will seal the cuticles and impart shine onto the hair. You can also have a clear gloss salon treatment, which is a varnish like treatment imparting shine for several weeks.
Product suggestion: John Frieda’s Secret Weapon.
11. How do you choose the best blow dryer for your hair?
A blow dryer is like a car. You get what you pay for. Consider the engine, the look, the weight and the size. After that, it is a personal choice based on budget.
12. How can you stop DIY dyed hair from looking flat and dull?
Rinse your hair with Apple Cider Vinegar and cool water after shampooing. This will add shine to the hair.
13. What would be your top tips for women 50-plus to have beautiful hair?
Invest in a good cut and colour and make sure you keep the condition of the hair at its best. Neglected hair is what makes you look aged.
You might also like: