Choose portable items
- Replace coffee tables with side tables for flexible living, just move out for extra floor space when needed.
- Bar carts are chameleonic and morph from bar cart to bedside table to hallway unit, side table or even an indoor plant display shelf.
- Drilling wall hooks may not be allowed, but placing a hat stand in any room is an easy solution to stop jackets, bags or even towels being dumped on the floor.
- Baskets are perfect receptacles to stash away toys in style.
- Jazz up dull walls with art prints, lean oversized artworks on the ground or cluster smaller prints together on a sideboard.
Work with the space, not against it
- Modular sofas break apart and configure to nearly any living room layout – so are likely to fit into your next place too.
- Suffering from poor kitchen design? We could all use extra bench room, so choose an island for cooking overflow and store everyday items underneath.
Layer up and add texture
- Rugs not only hide imperfect flooring and zone different areas of the home, but also muffle sound and provide comfort underfoot.
- Colour coordinate cushions and throws, working with one colour palette for balance and cohesion. Remember to mix up fabrics and shapes to nail the layered look.
- Tired bathroom? Distract the eye by investing in super plush towels and hide weary flooring with an oversized bathroom mat.
Swap it out
- Rental window coverings are easily forgotten and often drab. Swap out existing curtains with sheer linen ones to transform your space from banal to sophisticated.
- If unpleasant fixtures are really bothering you, get landlord approval to remove and store them safely, then replace with your own selection.
- Sick of ugly overhead lighting? Replace ineffective ceiling fixtures with statement pendants to add dimensionality. Pendants with a shade create cosy ambient lighting, so consider materials like rattan to add some warmth.
You might also like:
Another great way to add life to a rental property is by decorating with indoor plants! Watch the how-to guide below.