Washzone looking a little tired and ragged round the edges? Never fear. Here are 8 ideas to make your bathroom beautiful without splashing too much cash.
1. Unless the layout just doesn’t work or you’re doing something full-on such as losing the bath in favour of a bigger shower, keep the plumbing where it is. Swapping tapware is relatively simple but hacking into the wall or floor to move piping or drainage isn’t.
2. Tackle obvious flaws, such as grubby grout. If the grout won’t come clean with a scrub, try using a grout pen to mask over the existing filler. For tougher stains, consider removing the grout altogether and redoing the whole area, which as a bonus, will help make your tiles look like new. Score extra points if you try a different-coloured grout for a total revamp.
3. Change the vanity. The latest, uber-glamorous styles resemble items of furniture and are statement-makers in themselves. Having an eye-catching hero piece is also a neat design trick to distract from other less-than-lovely areas of the room.
4. Re-tile the room. White is classic, but with so many gorgeous finishes trending now, why not go for something new? Look at large-format tiles for up-to-the-moment style, explore the dark side for a romantic look, consider a feature floor of good-looking geometrics, or voyage back to the ‘70s and embrace timeless terracotta, which is sweeping back into home interiors fashion with a vengeance.
5. While you’re changing your tiles, consider swapping out a dated shower cabinet for a sleek, frameless screen. Providing you have no waterproofing issues, this is a surprisingly affordable update.
6. Invest in new tapware. The newest bathroom jewellery comes in such beautiful finishes as burnished brass, matt gold, copper and matt black, which will make plain porcelain shine.
7. Update the lighting. There’s never been such a wide choice of gorgeous lighting fixtures to choose from and it’s a quick fix.
8. Buy a new mirror. A large, decorative framed mirror that fills the space above your vanity will not only look amazing, it will bounce around available light and help make your bathroom look larger than it is.