They may be your children’s best friends, but soft toys can collect a lot of dust and grime over time.
It’s tempting to add toys to a load of washing, but they can be easily damaged or destroyed.
Here are two ways to clean stuffed toys and keep them free from allergens and bacteria.
Washing machine method
1. Make sure the toy isn’t battery operated, as washing will ruin it.
2. Protect the stuffed toy by popping it in a zipped mesh laundry bag.
3. Place the bag in the washing machine and wash on the delicates or gentle cycle.
4. Use warm or cool water.
5. Remove from the toy from the laundry bag and, if necessary, gently stretch it into shape.
6. Hang the toy up to air dry. Avoid using the dryer as it can cause shrinkage.
Hand wash method
1. This method is best for delicate toys. Fill a tub with warm water and add a teaspoon of liquid laundry detergent. Mix well.
2. Place the toy in the water and gently wash it with your hands.
3. If necessary, use an old soft toothbrush to carefully remove any stains.
4. Rinse the toy in cool or warm water and gently squeeze out.
5. Hang up to air dry.
RELATED: How to clean bath toys