• 2 tsp whole white peppercorns
• 3 tsp cumin seeds
• 3 tsp coriander seeds
• 10 large red chillies, roughly chopped
• 2 Tbsp water
• 8cm-piece ginger, roughly chopped
• 2 tsp shrimp paste
• 1 stick lemongrass, very finely chopped
• ½ brown onion, finely diced
• 6 cloves garlic, sliced
• 1 Tbsp curry powder
• 1 tsp tumeric powder
• 2 tsp ground cinnamon
You might like the Massaman chicken curry with sweet potato recipe.
Heat a large non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. Add peppercorns, cumin and coriander, then cook for 3 minutes or until aromatic and a shade darker in colour. Remove from pan and set aside to cool. Once cool, put in a mortar and grind using a pestle until fine.
Add ground spices and all remaining ingredients to the jug of a blender and blend until a smooth paste forms. Store in an airtight container in the fridge until ready to use.