Preparation time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 8 hours
- 1.5kg beef chuck steak, cut into 1.5cm pieces
- 250g mixed mushrooms, some whole, others halved (here, a mix of swiss brown, enoki and wood ear)
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 2 sticks celery, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 250ml red wine
- 250ml beef stock
- 2 Tbsp flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 6 sage leaves
- 1 Tbsp rosemary leaves
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 Tbsp dried chopped porcini mushrooms
- Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- Sea-salt flakes and freshly ground black pepper, to season
- Cooked maccheroni calabresi pasta, to serve (or other rustic-style Italian pasta)
- Fried sage leaves, to serve
- Lemon wedges, to serve
STEP 1: Put beef in the bowl of a 5L slow cooker. Top with mushrooms, onion, carrot, celery, garlic and tomato paste. Pour over wine and stock. Add herbs, nutmeg, porcini mushrooms and lemon zest. Stir. Place bowl in appliance, cover with lid and cook on low setting for 8 hours.
STEP 2: Remove bowl from appliance, remove lid and season. Spoon ragu over pasta, top with fried sage leaves and serve with lemon wedges on the side.
For more irresistible recipes don’t miss the July issue of Better Homes and Gardens, on stands now!