• Melted butter, to grease
• 75g unsalted butter, chopped
• 2 red onions, thickly sliced
• 4 cloves garlic, sliced
• 2 sprigs rosemary, leaves picked
• 4 bay leaves
• 400g Italian-style sausages
• 1 tsp ground allspice
• 1 bunch curly kale, trimmed and roughly chopped
• 2 medium zucchini, cut into 2cm dice
• 500g cottage cheese
• 1 cup grated vintage cheddar
• 600ml thickened cream
• 8 eggs
• 2 tsp Dijon mustard
• Sea-salt flakes and freshly ground black pepper, to season
• Crusty bread, to serve
Note: Allow 10 minutes draining time
Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease a 10-cup capacity baking dish. Melt butter in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Cook onions, garlic, rosemary and bay leaves for 10 minutes or until softened.
Meanwhile, remove skins from sausages and chop into 3cm pieces. Put in a large frying pan, add allspice and cook over medium heat for 2 minutes. Add kale and zucchini, stirring to combine. Remove pan from heat.
Put cottage cheese in a fine sieve and rinse lightly, then set aside for 10 minutes to drain. Add to sausage mixture, along with the cheddar, and stir gently off heat.
Combine cream, eggs and mustard in a bowl and season. Whisk, then pour over sausage mixture, stirring to combine. Spoon mixture into prepared baking dish and bake for 40–45 minutes or until golden and well-risen. Serve warm with crusty bread.