Oil removing hack #1
- Use a tissue or paper towel to try and soak up as much of the oil spill as possible.
- Cover the oil stain in bi-carb soda and lets it sit for a half hour or so.
- Fill a sink or bucket with warm to hot water and spinkle a little bi-carb in the water. Put the fabric in the water (bi-carb still on the stain) and soak for 15 minutes.
- Dislodge any remaining bi-carb soda.
- Wash as per usual.
Oil removing hack #2
- Spray a little WD-40 on the stain and applying bi-carb soda to the affected area.
- Scrub the stain with a toothbrush using the bi-carb and WD-40 mixture until soda starts to clump.
- Add a drop of dish soap to the mix.
- Scrub with toothbrush once again, washing clumps from the brush as you go.
- Wash the fabric as usual.
Oil removing hack #3
- Make a paste out of 3 parts bicarb soda and 1 part water
- Apply to oil stain
- Allow to completely dry, then brush off the bicarb soda.
- Spray with laundry stain remover according to instructions, then wash as normal.
Oil Removing hack #4
- Apply grease-busting dish washing detergent to the oil stain
- Scrub the affected area with a toothbrush until you see the stain begin to lift
- Wash as normal
- Only use this method on colour-fast fabrics
BONUS TIP: Never tumble-dry fabric that still has an oil stain – it’ll set the stain into the fabric for good.
You might also like:
Looking for more ways to remove stains? Try these hacks with vinegar in the video below.