Try our wild rice and roasted corn pilaf – straight form the backyard!
Wild Rice and Roasted Corn Pilaf
Prep 15 minutes Cook 45 minutes Grill 7 minutes
Makes 4 servings.
- ½ cup wild rice, rinsed and drained
- 4 ears fresh sweet corn, husks removed
- 400g can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- ½ cup chopped toasted walnuts
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh basil
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 Tbsp lime juice
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 1 avocado, halved, seeded, peeled and chopped
- In a large saucepan bring 1 ½ cups water to boil and stir in rice. Reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 40 minutes or until kernels open. Meanwhile, coat corn with cooking spray. Grill, uncovered, over medium-high heat for 7-8 minutes or until charred, turning frequently. Remove from grill. Cut kernels from corn cobs.
- Drain rice, if necessary. Stir in corn and the next seven ingredients (through black pepper) and heat. Remove from heat. Top with avocado.
To halve and seed an avocado, cut in half lengthwise. Twist two halves in opposite directions to separate them. Use a spoon to scoop out the seed. Carefully peel away the skin if the avocado is to be chopped, or scoop out the flesh with a spoon if it’s to be mashed.
For more recipes, get our Grow It, Eat It special edition, on sale now!