When your skin is plumped up and smooth (with or without any wrinkles) and has a touch of illuminating or highlighting, it will look fresh and youthful. You'll glow.
Plus, there’s an added bonus – the appearance of lines is diminished. What more could you ask for?
So, if your skin is anything less than soft and lustrous, follow these steps and
you will look and feel more radiant in no time.
Smooth and refine
If your skin appears dull or tired, chances are you have a build-up of old skin cells on the surface. Weekly use of an exfoliant helps to prevent this, but with age, your natural skin cell turnover and cell shedding slows down, and so helping to shift the dead cells is essential to achieving softer, smoother skin. Exfoliating also stimulates superficial blood circulation, which keeps skin well nourished from within. Check out these new gentle, but very effective, options.
- You can remove dead skin cells without causing irritation or redness with a polish that’s gentle enough to be used on sensitive skin daily. Exfoliating Polish, $14, QV Face.
- Soften skin and diminish fine lines by applying a leave-on exfoliant every two days to clean skin. Skin Perfecting 8% AHA Gel, $38, Paula’s Choice.
- Re-energise and exfoliate your skin by making a paste with a non-abrasive exfoliant and water, then massage over face. Gentle Daily Exfoliant, $62, Alpha-H.
- Improve your skin’s clarity while removing dead cells and surface pigment 2–3 times a week. Ultra Dual Microfoliant, $79, Ultraceuticals.
Even out colour
What will a brightener do for your skin? Sun exposure and the ageing process often lead to age spots, freckles and pigmentation, and this causes the complexion to look patchy and uneven. Products such as the ones below claim to brighten the skin, helping to reduce dark spots and surface discolouration, while balancing out your skin tone and leaving you with more even, brighter skin.
- Relax for a while with a mask that reduces the visibility of age spots and unevenness. Brightening with Vitamin C Face Mask Sheet, $14.95, Innoxa.
- Reduce the signs of existing and new pigmentation by applying a serum to clean skin twice daily. Enlighten Illuminating Serum, $65.95, NeoStrata.
- Increase results with a professional-strength cream formulated with herbal extracts to revise and inhibit hyperpigmentation. Melanotech Crème, $109, DMK.
- Illuminate your skin tone and fade the look of dark spots in eight weeks. Regenerist Luminous Tone Perfecting Cream Moisturiser, $48.99, Olay.
Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate
Thirsty skin is not so pretty. It looks dull and tired, whereas well-hydrated skin is plump and lush looking. Even oily skin needs a little drink, or it becomes dehydrated and full of fine lines. Dry to normal skin will happily drink up all the nourishing hydration it gets. Applying a moisturiser such as these morning and night will not only hydrate your skin and soften the appearance of wrinkles, it will also help to prevent moisture loss.
- Apply nourishing pearls under your moisturiser each day to boost collagen and hydration. Cellular Anti-Age Volume filling Pearls, $32.99, Nivea.
- Quench the thirst for moisture of dehydrated and oily skin with a light moisturiser. Rosewater hydration Moisture Boost Day Cream-Gel, $19.95, Natio.
- Give greater comfort to dry skin with a super nourishing and regenerating professional-strength cream. Creme Nutrition Confort, $84, Guinot.
- Replenish the moisture in your skin while AHAs go to work on reducing visible signs of ageing. Elucent Anti Ageing Night Moisturiser, $49.99, Ego.