For all climates:
- If you have shrub roses, give them a good prune down to around knee height and remove any dead stems. As roses begin to grow again after their winter hibernation, it’s time to give them the best start possible with a little extra plant food.
- Now is a good time to knock your lawn into shape. A little bit of lawn food now will ensure lush growth come spring, and if you haven’t yet treated your lawn for bindii & clover, there’s still time to reduce infestations of these troublesome weeds with a quick and easy hose-on spray applicators.
- Complete all your garden projects or constructions so they’re ready to enjoy when the warm weather rolls around.
- Weed your annuals and vegetables, and give your outdoor furniture and footpaths a clean in preparation for warmer days.
- Clear gutters and downpipes of leaves and clear firebreaks. Check hoses and sprinklers are in working order before fire season arrives.
- Complete planting bare-rooted deciduous trees, shrubs and vines this weekend.
- Give all your gardening equipment a good going over so they’re in tip top condition.
According to climate
If you live in a cool climate now is the perfect time to divide up clumps of chives into smaller plantings and use them to line footpaths or accompany roses. If you haven’t done so already, it’s time to prune your fruit trees before it’s too late.
In warm or temperate areas now is a good time to top dress your lawn and add compost to your garden. If you love the look or rose bushes in summer, it isn’t too late to plant a brand-new rose. Try planting flowering plants in your garden such as nasturtium, petunias, marigolds (French) and celosia, they’re great for attracting pollinators and beneficial insects to your garden.
For those living in subtropical areas, this weekend is a great time to prune hedges, mulch your clippings and trim your jasmine and lillipillies. Give your gardens a good go with some fertilizer after a thorough watering.
Gardens in tropical areas should give your lawn a good feed with blood and bone.
You might also like: