1. Reinterpret everything at your nearest recycling centre as a potential plant holder – here, a rusty metal air duct is filled with lomandra.
2. Paint the fence by using a self-priming exterior-grade paint.
3. Freshen up bare concrete with a coat of paving paint. Use a roller with an extension pole for easy application.
4. Roll out turf after installing the main garden features. Spread turf underlay soil first, then roll it out and trim to fit.
5. Be resourceful and dig up clumps of hardy perennials like agapanthus (pictured), then divide them up. Use these new plants to fill bare areas in the yard.