You can throw almost anything from the fridge into these ricotta tarts with their ready-made puff pastry crust.
• 300g fresh ricotta
• 3 eggs, lightly beaten
• 100g leftover tasty cheese, grated
• 1 cup leftover finely chopped leg ham
• 1 green shallot, finely sliced
• 1 tsp dried Italian herbs
• Sea-salt flakes and freshly ground black pepper, to season
• 2 sheets ready-rolled frozen puff pastry, partially thawed
• Extra 1 egg, lightly beaten
• 1 tsp sesame seeds
• Micro herbs, to serve
• Tomato sauce or chutney, to serve
• Leftover salad greens, to serve
• Leftover cherry tomatoes, halved, to serve
Preheat oven to 190°C. Line 2 oven trays with baking paper. Put ricotta and eggs in a large bowl and whisk until well combined. Stir in cheese, ham, shallot and Italian herbs, then season.
Put pastry on prepared trays. Trim off pastry corners to create a rough circle. Spoon 1⁄2 of the mixture into centre of 1 sheet and spread, leaving a 5cm pastry border. Using your hands, carefully fold pastry edges over filling, gathering and pinching pastry as you go, bringing it in towards centre.
Brush pastry border with a little of the extra egg and sprinkle with 1⁄2 of the sesame seeds. Repeat Steps 2-3 with remaining pastry, filling, extra egg and sesame seeds.
Bake for 40 minutes or until filling is just set and pastry is golden.
Scatter tarts with micro herbs. Serve with tomato sauce or chutney, salad greens and cherry tomatoes on the side.