• 2 Tbsp hoisin sauce
• 2 Tbsp soy sauce
• 2 Tbsp shaoxing wine
• 2 tsp corn our
• 1⁄2 tsp Chinese ve-spice powder
• 2cm-piece ginger, cut into matchsticks
• 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
• 21⁄2 Tbsp peanut oil
• 400g beef scotch fillet steak, excess fat trimmed, thinly sliced
• 1 red onion, sliced into thin wedges
• 100g oyster mushrooms, thickly sliced
• 100g Swiss brown mushrooms, thickly sliced
• 100g enoki mushrooms, trimmed and separated
• 150g sugar snap peas, trimmed
• 2 green shallots, thinly sliced
Combine hoisin sauce, soy sauce, shaoxing wine, cornflour, Chinese five-spice powder, ginger and garlic in a medium bowl and set aside.
Heat wok over a high heat. When starting to smoke, add 2 tsp oil, swirling pan to coat. Stir-fry 1⁄3 beef for 3 minutes or until browned and almost cooked through. Transfer to a large bowl. Repeat for another 2 batches. If necessary, carefully wipe wok clean with paper towel in between batches, before adding oil.
Add remaining oil to wok, swirling to coat. Add onion and stir-fry for 1 minute or until softened. Add mushrooms and stir-fry for 1 minute, then add sugar snap peas and stir-fry for 1 minute or until almost tender.
Return beef to wok, along with reserved hoisin mixture and 1⁄2 of the shallots. Stir-fry for 1 minute or until heated through. Serve topped with remaining shallots.