Canned soups are brimming with sodium, but not our delicious creamy tomato soup. This recipe contains just 125mg and is great for batch cooking. Don’t forget to mix up the flavours with your own toppers, too!
Creamy Tomato Soup
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 10 mins
SERVES 6 (as a light meal)
PER SERVE 731kJ, protein 8g, total fat 7g (sat. fat 4g), carbs 18g, fibre 4g, sodium 319mg • Carb exchanges 1 • GI estimate medium • Lower carb
- 1kg tomatoes, core removed, quartered, seeds removed (see Cook’s tip)
- 11/2 cups coarsely chopped red capsicum
- 250ml (1 cup) salt-reduced vegetable stock or gluten free stock
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup snipped basil
- 2 Tbsp light thickened cream
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 4 slices wholemeal bread
- 4 slices tasty cheese
- Put the tomatoes, capsicum, stock, onion and basil in a large food processor (or do in batches in a blender). Cover and process until smooth.
- Transfer soup to a large saucepan. Cook, stirring, over medium heat for 5-10 minutes or until warmed through. Stir in the cream and honey.
- Meanwhile, put 2 slices of cheese between 2 slices of bread. Repeat with the remaining bread and cheese. Cook in a sandwich press or under a grill until toasted and cheese melts. Cut into small squares.
- Serve the soup with the toasted cheese squares.
[cook’s tip] If fresh tomatoes aren’t available, you can substitute 2 x 400g cans no added salt chopped tomatoes.
For more delicious soups, get the September/October issue of Diabetic Living, with 5 delicious soups for better health!
Diabetic Living is a one-stop health information source for the 1.7 million Australians who have Type 1, pre-Diabetes or Type 2 Diabetes. Backed by a team of medical experts, DL provides easy-to-understand health and exercise information along with delicious, dietician-approved recipes for everyone looking to lead a healthy life.