Creamy Tomato Soup
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 10 mins
SERVES 6 (as a light meal)
PER SERVE 731kJ, protein 8g, total fat 7g (sat. fat 4g), carbs 18g, fibre 4g, sodium 319mg • Carb exchanges 1 • GI estimate medium • Lower carb
- 1kg tomatoes, core removed, quartered, seeds removed (see Cook’s tip)
- 11/2 cups coarsely chopped red capsicum
- 250ml (1 cup) salt-reduced vegetable stock or gluten free stock
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup snipped basil
- 2 Tbsp light thickened cream
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 4 slices wholemeal bread
- 4 slices tasty cheese
- Put the tomatoes, capsicum, stock, onion and basil in a large food processor (or do in batches in a blender). Cover and process until smooth.
- Transfer soup to a large saucepan. Cook, stirring, over medium heat for 5-10 minutes or until warmed through. Stir in the cream and honey.
- Meanwhile, put 2 slices of cheese between 2 slices of bread. Repeat with the remaining bread and cheese. Cook in a sandwich press or under a grill until toasted and cheese melts. Cut into small squares.
- Serve the soup with the toasted cheese squares.
[cook’s tip] If fresh tomatoes aren’t available, you can substitute 2 x 400g cans no added salt chopped tomatoes.
For more delicious soups, get the September/October issue of Diabetic Living, with 5 delicious soups for better health!
Diabetic Living is a one-stop health information source for the 1.7 million Australians who have Type 1, pre-Diabetes or Type 2 Diabetes. Backed by a team of medical experts, DL provides easy-to-understand health and exercise information along with delicious, dietician-approved recipes for everyone looking to lead a healthy life.