Want the warehouse look? Then use our tips to cheat this on-trend decorating vibe in your own living room. Introduce hints of dusty grey on your walls and in soft furnishings, lay weathered-look timber flooring, assemble industrial shelving and have your electrician install factory-inspired pendant lights. Then think
big and show your guests a bit of lovin’ with a bold triptych to make and hang above your sofa.
1. Think big This three-panel artwork above the sofa (see image above) is easy to make yourself. Just paint a large primed canvas with white acrylic paint and let dry. On a large sheet of butcher’s paper, sketch out a cross shape, then tear it out using a ruler along the marked lines to create rough edges. Spray with repositionable adhesive, then position template on canvas, allowing a border around the edges. Spray exposed areas with black spray paint and let dry. Peel away template. Repeat the process for one more cross and a circle shape, then hang!
2. Paint-hearted Bring new life to an old coffee table. Here, Dulux Duramax Granite Effect in Light Grey was sprayed on for a concrete-look top.
3. Green screen On your next trip to the nursery, pick up a potted fiddle leaf fig. The luscious leaves of this beauty will liven up your earthy scheme.
4. In the trunk! Find and revive an old timber storage chest and add lockable castor wheels to make yours moveable.
5. Built-in storage Installing custom joinery might sound like an expensive and daunting task to tackle as a weekend DIY warrior, but never fear – with flat pack kits, half the work is done for you! Assemble yours, stand them in place, make level and flush, then secure to walls if necessary. A stained pine top and white kick plate or skirt will provide polished results – just like a pro!
6 and 7, You show-off! Keep furniture to a minimum with this brilliant idea – utilise a vertical strip of brick wall in your living room to host a framework of metal pipes, elbows and T-joins. Then fit with painters’ shelves, cut and stained to suit. The finished result provides ample space for your telly, plus a few indoor plants and decos, too.