Are the kids ruling the roost at your place? Avoid the battles over territory – take to your old under-utilised shed with a multi-use makeover to cater for your down time. Part chill-out zone, part hobby area – divided by a workbench on wheels – this space is so cool the challenge will be keeping the kids out...
Dream up a new use for an old structure at the back of your yard (garden shed, workshop, small flat) – use the existing framework to design a space to suit your needs then expand your vision to include a deck and a little can‑do landscaping. Remember to consult your local council before carrying out building works on your property.
Take five on an Acapulco-style chair and pull up a side table for your cuppa. Lots of deck space? Add a dining set or outdoor sofa, too.
On the inside
A little bit classic, a little bit retro – a whole lotta chic! Give the interior a light and breezy makeover: prime and paint walls and ceiling in bright white, go for painted checks on the floor, then set up a comfy tech-free zone – just for you! Love the look of this floor? Click here to find out how to do it.
Other ideas you'll love
• Swing low on a luxury hammock strung in a shady spot between your new retreat and a neighbouring tree. Throw a few comfy cushions on your hammock when the weather is right – you’ll switch into holiday mode in a flash. Waiter!
• Welcome the option to open your chill-out zone to the outdoors, thanks to a set of glass panel doors. If space allows, go for a duo of doors with a fixed sidelight on each side – think of all the extra light! Try standard models from Hume Doors & Timber (available through the Special Orders Counter at Bunnings). Then, prime and paint to suit your colour scheme.
• Moving inside your schmick shack, paint the concrete floor in a striking chequerboard pattern (click here for instructions). And what’s a relaxation zone without a spot to laze about? Pick up an inexpensive sofa, then weave your styling magic with a mix of decorator items – now’s your chance to let your hair down and try a new look!
• A level decked area will bring added enjoyment to your retreat – hello, chilled afternoons with a fabulous page-turner! Smarten yours with 2 coats of silver-coloured deck stain. Renovator’s note: Certain building materials installed before the late 1980s may contain asbestos. Before renovating, contact your local council for advice.
• Give your landscape a little lovin’! Soften the hard-edge line of your deck with a carefree combo of Dianella ‘Tasred’ and variegated mondo grass. Then invite your garden onto the deck with potted plants – try a trio of white pots by your door, staggering the size of pots and plants for best effect. While your gloves are on, refresh garden beds with a layer of mulch.
Click here for the full project sheet.