1. Create a gorgeous and lawn-less garden with a whole host of plants in containers.
2. Hide the soil from view and consider topping pots with a decorative mulch. Here, large white pebbles and small plantings of variegated sedum have been arranged in a small but pretty geometric pattern.
3. No garden space is complete without a place to sit and enjoy it all. Dress it up with colourful weatherproof cushions and an outdoor rug so you’ll feel right at home.
4. Don’t be afraid to plant a variety of options in your containers. This combo of Cordyline ‘Electric Star’, SunPatiens and Dichondra ‘Silver Falls’ provides height and colour in just the one pot!
• If you are always on the move, look out for lightweight options for your pots, such as fibreglass or glass-fibre reinforced concrete (GRC or GFRC).
• To help the look tie in with your home, pick a few complementary colours and use them when selecting colours for pots, plants and accessories.
• Group elements in odd numbers – it is more appealing to the eye as it gives depth to the area.
• When planting up containers, use a good-quality potting mix and feed plants with a controlled release fertiliser. You can also sit pots on handy ‘pot wheels’ to help with moving and placement.