Grilled Prawns With Sweet Corn And Caramelised Coconut Dressing
preparation time 20 mins
cooking time 20 mins
- vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- 4 round rice paper sheets, broken into 4 pieces
- 2 corn cobs, in husks, silks removed
- 20 large green king prawns, head and tail in tact, halved
- Sea-salt flakes and freshly ground black pepper, to season
- ¼ cup roasted salted peanuts, roughly chopped
- 1 long red chilli, seeded, thinly sliced
- ½ cup coriander leaves
Caramelised Coconut Dressing Ingredients
- 2 Tbsp coconut sugar
- 40ml water
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 clove garlic, finely grated
- 1 tsp finely grated fresh ginger
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil, light in flavour
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tsp fish sauce
- 1 kaffir lime leaf, very finely shredded
- To make rice paper crisps, heat enough oil in a small saucepan to come 3cm up the side of the pan until 180°C. Add rice paper rounds, one at a time, cooking for 3 seconds or until puffed, white and crisp. Immediately remove from oil, transfer to a paper towel lined plate and allow to drain. Repeat with remaining rice paper.
- To make caramelised coconut dressing, put sugar into a small non-stick pan. Add water and cook, stirring until sugar dissolves. Continue to cook for about 1 minute or until mixture just begins to thicken, then remove from heat and stir in lime juice, garlic and ginger. Set aside to cool to room temperature then transfer to a medium bowl. Stir in oils, fish sauce and kaffir lime leaf, then set aside.
- Preheat oven grill to high, or alternatively preheat oven to 250°C fan-forced ( 270°C conventional).
- Preheat a chargrill plate or barbecue grill plate over high heat. Grill corn for about 10 mins, turning, until lightly charred. Use a large sharp knife to cut kernels from corn. Season.
- Meanwhile, put prawns in a large bowl, add 2 Tbsp of the dressing and toss to coat.
- Grill prawns for 3 minutes each side, until lightly charred and cooked through.
- Arrange prawns, corn and rice paper crisps on a large serving platter. Drizzle half of the dressing over the top and serve remaining on the side. Scatter over peanuts, chilli and coriander and serve immediately.
For all the Christmas joy, grab your copy of Better Homes and Gardens in store or buy online today!