Prep time: 5 mins
Cook time: 40 mins
Serves 2 (as a main)
PER SERVE 2140kJ, protein 36g, total fat 12g (sat. fat 3g), carbs 54g, fibre 18g, sodium 247mg • Carb exchanges 3 1/2 • GI estimate low
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 chicken thighs, bone in, skin removed
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 celery sticks, chopped
- 1 brown onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 140g (3/4 cup) pearl barley
- 500ml (2 cups) water
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Green dressing
- 30g rocket leaves
- Small handful mint, leaves only
- Small handful flat-leaf parsley
- Juice 1 lemon
- 1 tsp drained capers in vinegar
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook for 5 minutes or until browned on all sides. Add the carrot, celery and onion. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until start to soften.
- Add the garlic and barley to the pan. Stir. Add the water. Cover and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, for 25-30 minutes or until the barley is tender.
- Meanwhile, the make the green dressing, place all the ingredients in the bowl of a small food processor. Cover and blitz until very finely chopped. Transfer to a small bowl and set aside until ready to serve.
- When the pearl barley is soft, but still with a little bite, and most of the liquid has been absorbed, it’s ready to serve. Season with pepper. Divide the risotto between two plates, adding spoonfuls of the dressing.
For more info, get your copy of Diabetic Living in store or buy online today.
Diabetic Living is a one-stop health information source for the 1.7 million Australians who have Type 1, pre-Diabetes or Type 2 Diabetes. Backed by a team of medical experts, DL provides easy-to-understand health and exercise information along with delicious, dietician-approved recipes for everyone looking to lead a healthy life.