But ornamental grasses are more than a garden's backbone. They have a graceful and elegant beauty and, in being a subtle visual break in a bed of flowering plants, provide different shapes and textures, as well as contrast and softness.
They also have the unique ability among garden bed plants for their wispy leaf blades and flowering stalks to dance up a delight at the slightest of breezes.
Benefits of ornamental grasses
- Their tall flower heads shimmer in the afternoon sun
- They add drama in modern, minimalist gardens
- They're ideal for dry, low-water gardens
- They provide habitats and help suppress weeds
- They're very low maintenance - just trim back in late winter