• 1.6kg boneless and skinless pork belly, diced
• Sea-salt flakes and freshly ground black pepper, to season
• 2 Tbsp peanut oil
• 2 white onions, thinly sliced
• 2 sticks celery, thinly sliced
• 1 baby fennel, thinly sliced
• 6 cloves garlic, crushed
• 1 Tbsp smoked paprika
• 2 tsp ground cumin
• 1 tsp ground cardamom
• 400g can cherry tomatoes
• 1 Tbsp cider vinegar
• 500ml chicken stock
• 1 cup smoky barbecue sauce
• 2 Tbsp brown sugar
• 400g can chickpeas, drained
• 1½ cups dry-roasted peanuts
• 1 bunch flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
• Extra flat-leaf parsley sprigs, to garnish
• Crusty bread, to serve
Season pork generously with salt and pepper. Heat ½ of the peanut oil in a camp oven over a medium heat. Add ½ of the pork and cook until well browned. Remove from oven and set aside. Repeat with remaining oil and pork.
In same camp oven, add vegetables and garlic, then cook for 5 minutes or until softened. Add spices and cook for 2 minutes. Return pork to camp oven and stir in tomatoes, vinegar, stock, barbecue sauce and brown sugar. Cover, then reduce heat to low and cook for 2 hours or until pork is tender.
Add chickpeas and peanuts, then cook for a further 5 minutes. Stir in chopped parsley, then garnish with extra parsley sprigs and serve with crusty bread on the side.