Side dishes are just as anticipated as the main attraction, so make yours mouth-wateringly good and add colour to your Christmas with our maple and garlic roast vegetables from December Better Homes and Gardens!
MAPLE AND GARLIC ROAST VEGETABLES
preparation time 20 mins
cooking time 45 mins
- 1.2kg kent pumpkin, skin on, seeded, cut into wedges
2 red onions, cut into wedges
- 2 red capsicum, cut into 3cm pieces
300g brussels sprouts
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp mixed dried herbs
- Sea-salt flakes and freshly ground black pepper, to season
2 lemons, cut into wedges
- 1 whole bulb garlic, halved
- 200g Greek-style feta, crumbled
¼ cup walnuts, toasted, roughly chopped
- 2 Tbsp finely chopped flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1 long red chilli, seeded, finely chopped
whole egg mayonnaise, to serve
- Chilli sauce, to serve
- Preheat oven to 200°C fan-forced (220°C conventional). Line a large roasting tray with baking paper.
- Put pumpkin, onion and capsicum into the tray. Combine olive oil, maple syrup and dried herbs in a small bowl then drizzle over the top of the vegetables to coat. Season. Arrange pumpkin pieces, skin down, standing upright amongst vegetables. Roast for 30 minutes, then remove from the oven. Brush vegetables with tray juices, squeeze over the juice from the lemon wedges, then add to tray along with garlic and return to the oven for a further 25 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Scatter feta, walnuts, parsley and chilli over the top and season. Serve with mayonnaise and chilli on the side to add as you desire.