1. Breville The Rice Box cooker from $149, Myer
Experience the perfection of fluffy rice every time with the Breville Rice Box Cooker. This kitchen marvel incorporates an innovative embedded element on the lid, effectively minimizing condensation and preserving the rice's moisture. The result? Consistently moist and fluffy rice that elevates your culinary creations.
The intelligent precision timer adds another layer of convenience, detecting when your rice reaches the ideal doneness and seamlessly transitioning to the 'Keep Warm' setting. Say farewell to the frustrations of burnt or soggy rice—this cooker ensures your grains are always impeccably cooked.
Earning an impressive 4.7 out of 5 stars from a robust 368 reviews, this kitchen essential is a testament to its outstanding performance. But it doesn't stop at rice; this versatile appliance lets you explore various rice styles, from congee to sushi, crispy rice, and porridge, expanding your culinary repertoire.
- Jar-style rice cooker and steamer
- Cook Settings: cook, fast-cook, crispy rice, porridge/soup & congee
- Programmable timer
- Automatic keep warm & reheat settings
- 10-cup rice capacity
- Included steam tray
2. Japan Zojirushi Micom rice cooker, from $410, Amazon
With cult status amongst rice cooker fanatics, the Zojirushi rice cooker is praised for its ability to cook a variety of rice - white rice, brown rice, sushi rice and more. While other rice cookers may struggle to perfect brown rice, the Zojirushi rice cooker uses microchip Fuzzy logic technology to determine the time needed to cook the fluffiest rice bowl - say hello to restaurant-quality rice every time.
With a higher price tag than its competitors, the Zojirushi rice cooker is definitely an investment. If you cook small batches of rice often, or you want to enjoy restaurant-quality rice at home, this rice cooker should definitely be on your wish list.
The product is designed for use in areas with a supply voltage of AC220-230V (50/60Hz). Australia uses a different electrical system with a standard voltage of 230V and a frequency of 50Hz. Therefore, you would need a suitable plug adapter to connect the rice cooker to the Australian power outlets. Fortunately, the voltage requirements of the rice cooker (AC220-230V) align with the standard voltage in Australia (230V). However, checking the product specifications before buying is always a good idea.
- Microcomputer technology allows for various cooking styles, including traditional cooked rice, sushi rice, crispy rice, porridge, and brown rice.
- Full heating capacity ensures even heat distribution throughout the cooking process.
- Stainless steel body that facilitates easy cleaning, adding to the product's longevity.
- International compatibility: Designed for use in large areas of Europe and Asia, the rice cooker operates at a supply voltage of AC220-230V (50/60Hz). This international compatibility makes it versatile for various regions.
- Its compact design suits various kitchen setups, including smaller spaces.
- The multilingual instruction manual comes in English, Chinese, Korean, and Japanese, ensuring accessibility and ease of use for a diverse user base.
- $410 from Amazon
3. Joyoung mini rice cooker, from $185, Kogan
Perfect for small households of 1-3 people, this Joyoung mini rice cooker has nine automatic cooking settings ranging from rice and congee to cakes. Uniform heating is enabled with its innovative IH electromagnetic heating technology. This small but mighty rice cooker is incredibly sleek, respectfully claiming counter space in your kitchen.
- Compact design suitable for 1 to 3 people. I
- IH electromagnetic heating technology contributes to better-cooked meals, providing consistent results across various cooking options.
- Versatile cooking options with nine automatic menus, including rice, porridge, cakes, and more.
- Removable inner cover for easy cleaning
- Refined LED touch panel
4. Tatung multi-functional rice cooker, from $299, Amazon
When we think of rice cookers, we think of the iconic Tatung multi-functional rice cooker. A household classic, this rice cooker steams the rice indirectly by heating up the inner stainless steel pot with water - by indirectly heating the rice, it ensures it is cooked evenly.
This is the perfect heavy-duty rice cooker if you have a big family to feed. Designed to not only cook up to six cups of uncooked rice, you can also use the rice cooker to steam vegetables, seafood, and other steamed dishes with ease. In a cute sage green colourway, this is the crème de la crème of multi-purpose rice cookers.
- Multi-functionality: Acting as a rice cooker and steamer, this appliance is a multi-functional kitchen companion. It's suitable for preparing a variety of dishes, from hot fluffy rice to steamed veggies, seafood, and more.
- This cooker is suitable for small to medium-sized households, making up to six cups of rice.
- Durable stainless steel inner pot ensuring long-lasting performance.
- Indirect heating technology means your dishes are cooked evenly, preserving the taste and texture of the food.
- Keep warm feature allowing your dish to stay warm automatically after cooking.
- Additionally, it comes with useful accessories, including a steam plate, inner pot lid, rice spatula, and a measuring cup, enhancing its overall functionality.
5. Russell Hobbs turbo rice cooker, from $69, The Good Guys
Designed for large families and avid hosts, the Russell Hobbs mega ten-cup rice cooker stands out as a no-frills, high-capacity culinary companion. With its generous ten-cup capacity, this rice cooker caters to sizable gatherings, ensuring an abundance of perfectly cooked rice for everyone. The glass jar-style locking lid adds a practical touch, allowing you to monitor the cooking progress of your rice effortlessly.
The cooker's 'keep warm' setting is a no-brainer feature that ensures your rice remains at an optimal temperature until it's ready to be served. This convenient functionality guarantees that your rice is not only flawlessly cooked but also maintains its warmth, enhancing the overall dining experience. Whether you're preparing a feast for a large family dinner or entertaining guests, this Russell Hobbs rice cooker combines simplicity and substantial capacity, making it an ideal choice for those who appreciate both efficiency and ample servings.
- Efficient cooking with turbo technology (boasting 30% faster cooking technology).
- Keep warm function
- Removable steaming tray for versatility, allowing you to steam vegetables, bao, dumplings, and more.
- User-friendly design with tempered glass lid and cool touch handles
- Easy to clean with dishwasher-safe components
6. Anko 7-cup rice cooker, from $14, Target
If you’re only the occasional rice cooker user, opting for an affordable option is probably at the top of your agenda. For $15, this Anko rice cooker can cook up to seven cups of rice.
The rice cooker also includes the crucial 'keep-warm' feature, ensuring that your cooked rice stays at an optimal temperature for serving. Additionally, the non-stick removable bowl simplifies the cleaning process, enhancing the overall user experience. The Anko rice cooker provides a cost-effective solution for those seeking a basic yet reliable appliance to prepare small to moderate quantities of rice.
- The innovative design of the rice cooker guarantees even cooking, preventing the common issues of overcooked or undercooked rice.
- Keep warm functionality
- Comprehensive accessories, including a measuring cup, a spoon, and a steam tray.
- User-friendly design
- Quality assurance and safety standards: meets applicable Australian electrical safety standards.
How do IH rice cookers work?
IH rice cookers use coils around the pot that produce a magnetic field when an electric current passes through it. From this, the pot heats up incredibly fast, cooking the rice evenly.
What is a Fuzzy logic rice cooker?
Fuzzy logic technology found in recent electric rice cookers has a computer chip (also called a microchip, microcomputer or micom) that directs it to make adjustments to the cooking time and temperature based on a variety of factors.
For example, it takes longer to cook brown rice, so rice cookers that are equipped with Fuzzy logic technology will react by reducing the temperature and cooking brown rice for longer.
What are the best rice cookers to buy in Australia?
Restaurant-quality rice is just one click (and one button) away. Read on for our top picks of the best electric rice cookers at varying price points that will make your next dinner prep easier than ever.