We’ve got hundreds of inspiring and easy ideas to share with you in our special Before & After issue. From weekend projects that are real room changers to make-overs that require a bit more time and effort, we’ve got you covered. Get our special issue today for tips to brush up on the basics, plus so much more.
How to choose the perfect finish
Sheen affects the overall look and durability of a painted piece, so make sure you factor that in when you’re choosing your paint colour.
- Flat Finish: Flat paint has a nonreflective finish that doesn’t show blemishes easily. Because it’s not as easy to wipe or as durable as glossier sheens, it’s not a common choice for furniture, unless you’re after a vintage or distressed look.
- Satin Finish: This paint shows a light lustre with a soft texture. For many, satin falls in the just-right category – not too shiny, not too dull, and easy to work with.
- Semi-gloss Finish: A choice that is often recommended for furniture. Semi-gloss has a higher lustre and tougher skin than a low sheen finish, but isn’t as shiny as gloss. It stands up well to cleaning and wear.
- Gloss Finish: A paint that creates a hard surface that is durable and easy to clean. It gives furniture a modern, lacquered appearance, so consider whether this is the effect you’re after. Its high lustre makes imperfections show.
Also in this issue
- Dropsheet drama for cheap thrills
- Shelf respect – you’ve got this!
- Start small – 10 weekend updates
- Sitting pretty – chair makeovers to love
Get our Before & After issue today, on sale now.