• 4 cloves garlic, mince
• 1 tsp chilli flakes
• 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
• Sea-salt flakes and freshly ground black pepper, to season
• 4 x 160g bonito steaks
• 4 finger eggplants, split lengthways
• 1 Tbsp black olive tapenade
• 1 Tbsp coriander seeds
• 3⁄4 cup verjuice (or a mix of 2 parts white wine and 1 part apple cider vinegar)
• 2 eschalots, finely diced
• 2 lemons, segmented and diced
• 1⁄2 bunch basil leaves, thinly sliced
• 1⁄2 bunch tarragon leaves, thinly sliced
• 2 Roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
• Baby rocket leaves, to serve
Put garlic, chilli and 1 Tbsp of the oil in a bowl, mixing to combine. Season, then brush over bonito. Set aside for 5 minutes to marinate.
Preheat a barbecue grill plate over a medium heat. Drizzle eggplants with 1 Tbsp of the remaining oil, then cook on grill for 3 minutes each side or until lightly blackened. Transfer to a plate and spread cut sides with tapenade. Set aside.
Put coriander seeds and verjuice in a small saucepan over a medium heat and bring to a simmer. Cook for 10 minutes or until reduced by three-quarters. Remove from heat and stir in eschalots and lemon. Allow to cool, then fold in herbs and tomato.
Cook bonito steaks on a hot barbecue grill for 3 minutes each side or until just medium. Serve with eggplant, sauce and rocket leaves.