Napoletana, pesto, ragu and carbonara – add these classic pasta sauces to your repertoire (or perfect them) and you’ll open up a world of fantastic feasts the family will love over and over again! These Italian staples are simple to make, can be used in loads of dishes and freeze well. Here’s one to get you started. Bellissimo!
Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: nil
Makes 1 cup (serves about 8)
· 1 clove garlic
· 30g pine nuts, lightly toasted
· Sea-salt flakes, to season
· 70g basil leaves (about 2 bunches)
· 150ml extra virgin olive oil
· 40g pecorino, finely grated
· 40g parmesan, finely grated
1. Put garlic, pine nuts and a pinch of salt in the bowl of a food processor. Process until finely chopped.
2. Add ½ of the basil and drizzle with a little of the oil. Pulse until roughly chopped.
3. Add remaining basil and remaining oil, then pulse again.
4. Add pecorino and parmesan, then process until a smooth paste forms. Season with salt. For serving suggestions, see below.
For more Italian pasta favourites pick up a copy of the August issue of Better Homes and Gardens magazine, on sale now!