Give fragrant pilaf a whirl alongside the tastiest spiced barbecued chicken in town.
• 1 Tbsp ground turmeric
• 2 tsp ground cinnamon
• 2 tsp ground allspice
• 1 tsp ground cloves
• Sea-salt flakes and freshly ground black pepper, to season
• 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
• 1.8kg chicken, cut into 8 pieces
• 1 brown onion, finely diced
• 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
• 4 cardamom pods
• 1 cup basmati rice
• 13⁄4 cups chicken stock
• 1⁄2 bunch flat-leaf parsley, leaves finely chopped
• 1⁄4 bunch mint, leaves finely chopped
• 1⁄2 cup currants
• 1⁄2 cup flaked almonds, toasted
Preheat barbecue grill to medium. Put turmeric, cinnamon, allspice and cloves in a bowl and season with salt and pepper. Add 1⁄2 of the oil, mix to combine and rub onto chicken. Add chicken to grill and cook, turning often, for 35 minutes or until just cooked.
Meanwhile, put remaining oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Add onion, garlic and cardamom and cook for 5 minutes or until just softened. Add rice and cook for 2 minutes or until translucent.
Add stock and bring to a simmer. Cook, covered, for 10-15 minutes or until all liquid is absorbed. Add parsley, mint, currants and almonds and stir to combine. Serve pilaf with chicken.