This is a list of ten things you should either unplug or turn off before leaving the house on your next adventure to ensure you come home to a property that’s still in one piece.
- Unplug all devices that have external power supplies such as laptops, gaming consoles, phone chargers, tablet or tooth brush.
- Unplug anything with a stand-by mode, such as desktop computers, televisions, blu-ray players and sound systems.
- Disconnect all modems and routers from their power points.
- Unplug any dishwashers or tumble dryers .
- Turn off your water heater so it isn’t using power trying to heat water that will never be used.
- Turn off your main water supply so you don’t come home to any accidental leaks.
- This may seem like a no-brainer but turn off all light in your house before leaving. If you really want to give the impression that someone is home, leave a couple lights plugged in that can be set to timers.
- Turn off and unplug anything with an LED display or remote control as these will sap power even when the device isn’t doing anything.
You might also like: