One of the most despised chores has to be cleaning the oven.
It’s super-easy to ignore –simply close the door – but it has a terrible roll-on effect. Months can go by before the full horror of the situation is fully realized – and by then you’re faced with layers of hard-baked grease and grime.
It’s very tempting to reach for one of those all-in-one oven cleaners that you leave in overnight, but the warnings about chemical fumes can be off-putting.
According to The Kitchn, there are better ways to get the job done. Here are some of the best ideas – time to get those rubber gloves on:
- Make a paste with baking soda, hydrogen peroxide, and add a little dish detergent. Scrub your oven down with the mixture and allow it to sit. Then apply some white vinegar, give it an extra scrub, and wipe it clean.
- Simply grab a pumice stone and scrub away with water for a chemical-free clean.
- Use your foam bathroom cleaner and let it sit for a couple of hours. Wipe it off.
- Grab some heavy duty garbage bags and toss your dirty racks inside with ammonia and water. Set it outside in the sun while it does the work for you. Spray down.
- Place a pot of just-boiled water in your oven, and close the door. The steam will work all of the grease off. Wipe down.
- Apply a paste of baking soda and vinegar. Allow it to sit overnight, then wipe down.
- Simply place a bowl of ammonia in the oven overnight, before wiping down in the morning.