1. Christmas has a way of catching us off guard each year, which is odd since it’s not like we don’t know it’s coming! Avoid last- minute scrambles and impulse spending by crafting a watertight plan. Make a list, check it twice. Know what you’re buying for whom, where you’re getting it and how much you have to spend. Do not diverge!
2. Consider a cash envelope system of spending rather than using credit cards. Being able to see and touch the moolah is a proactive way to prevent budget blowouts. If you ain’t got it, you ain’t spendin’ it! Simple!
3. Do your gifts need to be big, shiny and brand spanking new with a price tag to match? No ma’am, they do not. Do you have a killer signature pasta sauce or gourmet salsa? Are you the best damn jam maker in town? Sister, put a little of yourself into gifts for friends, rellies or teachers this year. Wrap ’em up nice and know they will be received with as much love as they were made. It's not about the money, honey!
4. Give the gift of time instead of things by swapping a few of your regular pressie exchanges for memory-making get-togethers. Festive spa day with your best gal pals? Family picnic by the river? Pure gold.
5. Start a Christmas fund. It might be too late for this year, but putting aside just $20 a week will net you a cool grand by tinsel time next year.