If you love entertaining, you probably know exactly what would be on your wish list for the perfect fridge, right? Here are five features that we think are must-haves. See if they’re on your list.
- Loads of space. You want a fridge that is big enough to hold food and drinks for all your family and friends, wide enough to hold large trays of food (no more platters wedged at a precarious angle) and roomy enough to stack bottles. One of the best options is a fridge with French doors, allowing you to throw both doors open, maximising access to the interior for wide platters or large items, such as a leg of ham.
- Flexible interior design. There’s no point in having a fridge with a lot of space if you can never find anything beyond the front row of jars. Or a fridge that does not allow you to configure the interior to suit your own particular needs. Look for a fridge with movable or retractable shelves that will accommodate tall items, useful drawers, wide, deep vegetable bins and adaptable compartments for things like eggs and cheese. Does it come with bottle racks? Are the door shelves adjustable: wide enough and tall enough to hold champagne or a tall jug?
- Easy access. Some modern fridges offer the option of being able to retrieve drinks and snacks from the fridge without opening the main doors. This is a boon for a casual, help-yourself party or if the kids are constantly opening and closing the fridge, letting the cold air escape every time. In the marketplace, LG has come up with a feature called Door-in-Door, which is essentially a clever ‘fifth door’ on the outside of the fridge, allowing push-button access to narrow shelves of favourite or constantly used food and drink, without the need to open the fridge proper.
- Ice and water. If you entertain regularly, a constant supply of ice cubes and chilled, filtered water is very useful. But such a feature can be at the expense of interior fridge space, so look for a fridge that offers a slimline ice and water dispenser, whilst still allowing door storage and not impeding shelf depth.
- Good looks. Can a fridge be stylish? Of course! Choose from a range of designs that complements the aesthetic of your kitchen – stainless steel can be black, brushed or shiny, handles are elegantly integrated, curves are sleek and subtle. And remember, you’re going to want to keep it looking good, so keep an eye out for technology that repels fingerprints. Gotta love that!