Springtime has sprung and with it good weather and a desire to spend more time outside. While getting out and about in the sunshine with your pet may seem like a long-awaited reward for enduring winter, there are several risks to your pet’s health that may be lurking on your lawn or under the foliage. Anneke van den Broek, founder of pet supply brand Rufus & Coco, tells us the things you should be on the lookout for in your garden.
If your pet appears to have ingested something poisonous, contact your local vet immediately. Symptoms to watch out for include vomiting, seizures, tremors or excessive salivating.
1. Snail bait is a fairly common cause of poisoning in pets, often found in a pellet form bearing a resemblance to dog food. As little as one teaspoon is potentially fatal to small dogs and cats. Snail bait contains the drug metaldehyde which is toxic if consumed by your pet. Tremors are usually the first sign, but other symptoms can include vomiting and seizures.
2. Fertilisers and weed killers can be harmful to pets, especially if ingested directly. Typically, warnings suggest keeping your pets off the grass for at least 72 hours after using a fertiliser, and remember to keep any bags well out of reach. Switch chemical fertilisers for a pet friendly option like compost, seaweed extract, fish emulsion or manure.
3. Fruit pits and seeds can pose a danger to your fur-baby for a number of reasons: ff consumed they risk blockages, obstructions and even poisoning, and can potentially harm your pet’s teeth.
4. Insecticides and pesticides can cause drooling, vomiting and diarrhea if consumed. Some rare pesticides are mixed with dangerous chemicals like organophosphates and carbamates and can be life threatening. Toxic levels of carbamate insecticides can cause seizures and respiratory arrest. Organophosphate toxicity may lead to chronic anorexia, muscle weakness and muscle twitching. As with fertilisers, read the labels and keep them out of reach of your pets.
5. Several plants and flowers are also dangerous. Lilies are particularly toxic to cats, and common plants like Aloe, Tulips and Daffodils can be harmful to your pooch! Talk to your vet or garden centre to find out which plants are safe for your garden, or check out the ASPCA list of safe plants by animal type.
You might also like: