What is the shelf life of uncooked rice?
When speaking in general terms about white rice, if stored correctly in an airtight container, with no access to contaminates or bacteria, your average white rice has an indefinite shelf life.
How long does cooked rice last in the fridge?
If refrigerated in an airtight container or resealable bag, rice can last four to six days in the fridge.
The correct way to store leftover rice
- Cool the rice down quickly by putting it in the fridge straight after cooking.
- Store rice in an airtight container or zip lock bag, removing as much air as possible from the container.
- Place in the fridge.
How to reuse leftover rice
- Reheat it in the microwave:For every cup of rice, add a few tablespoons of broth or water. Cover the bowl of rice with a plate to create a steaming effect as it reheats.
- Stir-fry it:In a large wok or sauté pan, heat canola or peanut oil on high. Make fried rice by breaking up the lumps of rice with a wooden spoon so the oil coats the granules evenly.
- Stove-top steam it:In a sauce pan, add the rice with a few tablespoons of butter and a splash of broth or water. Cover the pan and steam the rice on a low flame. Stir occasionally until the rice is heated thoroughly.
You might also like: